Occupational therapy is an important source of support for not only the
patients who are struggling with
Dementia, but their families as well. An occupational therapist works with their
clients to maximize their independence in their day-to-day life. Each
patient has a different journey after a diagnosis of Dementia, but occupational
therapists provide the tools patients and their families need to preserve
memory and function.
Occupational therapists use assessments to identify the patient’s
daily life goals, routines, and activities that they wish to protect or
improve. By identifying areas patients are struggling with, an occupational
therapist can help the patient and family find ways around these struggles
with practical advice and techniques.
How Occupational Therapists Can Help:
- They can provide advice on new techniques to complete everyday activities
as the patient’s condition advances.
- The can support the family in finding the right equipment to help with
difficulties as they come up.
- They can provide longer term recommendations to ensure the patient’s
home will continue to meet their needs.
- They can assist with fatigue management to combat the extreme tiredness
that is common for Dementia sufferers.
- They can provide memory strategies to help manage short term memory loss.
- They can educate patients in orientation strategies to manage disorientation
- They can help with long term memory loss by using reminiscence techniques.
- They can assist the patient with routine planning to help them structure
their day and provide stability.
Speak With Our Hampton Memory Care Professionals Today - (972) 200-3078
Your loved one may be facing many uncertainties as they go through this
frightening time. At Mount Carmel Assisted Living, we have provided caring, safe
memory care and living assistance since 1986. Our Hampton memory care professionals
are highly trained and committed to helping your loved one retain their
memory and independence for as long as possible. We are open for tours
7 days a week, so don’t hesitate to schedule an opportunity to see
our facilities and learn more.
Contact our offices online or call (972) 200-3078 to speak to a representative.